Philosophy of The City Research Group
The Philosophy of the City Research Group takes the city as an object of study, focusing on its political, social, epistemological, metaphysical, ethical, and environmental dimensions.
From an interdisciplinary perspective, it incorporates disciplines such as urban planning, environmental science and studies, ecology, architecture, geography, and the arts. Research questions often deal with applied philosophy and ethics, and utilize established knowledge from other areas of study. All philosophical traditions are welcome.
The group holds a conference annually, along with sessions at the American Philosophical Association’s meetings. Membership is open to anyone with an interest in the philosophical dimensions of the city.
- Shane Epting, Codirector
- Ronald R. Sundstrom, Codirector
- Michael Nagenborg, Codirector
- Jules Simon, Codirector
- Sanna Lehtinen, Codirector
- Judith Green, Executive Committee Member
- David Woods, Executive Committee Member
Conferences hosted by the Philosophy of The City Research Group include:
- Philosophy of The City 2019, Detroit, Michigan
- Philosophy of The City 2018, Bogota, Columbia
- Philosophy of The City 2017, Porto, Portugal
- Philosophy of The City 2016, San Francisco
- Philosophy of The City 2015, Hong Kong, Portland and Mexico City
- Philosophy of The City 2014, Mexico City
- Philosophy of The City 2013, New York